During this time of basketball brackets, office pools and other March- related madness, the Wyoming Responsible Gambling Coalition (WRGC) encourages Wyoming residents to take a timeout to ensure everyone knows how to gamble responsibly and play smart.
“We want people to be entertained and have fun, and we want them to be educated on how to play safe,” said Robin Reining, Wyoming Lottery Corp COO.
Reining noted March is Problem Gambling Awareness Month. To reinforce the gamble responsibly message, the WRGC launched an advertising campaign reminding Wyomingites to have fun gambling while doing so responsibly. “If you’re involved in betting on basketball or anything else, have fun with it. Just make sure you set limits before you bet, be smart, and don’t get too carried away,” Reining added.
Some tips on how to gamble responsibly:
- Know the odds
- Set time limits
- Set spending limits
- Don’t try to win back your losses
- Remember you are in control of your time and money
- View gambling as a form of entertainment
- Take breaks
- The WRGC exists to foster smart gambling in Wyoming through statewide collaboration and creativity. The coalition is actively pursuing projects that encourage responsible gaming and help limit the addictive behaviors commonly associated with gambling to break the dependency cycle.
The WRGC will continue to research gambling issues in Wyoming while educating residents and developing helpful resources. Healthcare providers interested in becoming certified in treating individuals with gambling disorder can contact the coalition and complete the certification. The fees are covered by the WRGC.
Funding for the WRGC comes from Wyoming Lottery unclaimed prizes. Per Wyoming Statute, the Wyoming Lottery Corporation provides up to $200,000 a year to problem gambling in consultation with the Wyoming Department of Health.
Members of the coalition include:
- Wyoming Department of Health
- Wyoming Lottery Corporation
- Wyoming Governor’s Office
- Fremont Counseling Service
- Wyoming Department of Corrections
- Wyoming Pari-Mutuel Commission
To learn more about the campaign and gambling responsibly, visit wyolotto.com/responsibile-gambling.